Garner Social District
The Downtown Garner Social District will begin on March 1, 2023.
What is a Social District?
On September 8, 2021, Session Law 2021-150 was ratified, allowing local governments to establish “Social Districts” within their jurisdictions. These Social Districts allow for common areas where licensed establishments (e.g., bars, breweries, restaurants) may sell alcoholic beverages in designated containers to be taken into the common area for consumption.
How Will a Social District Work in Downtown Garner?
The Downtown Garner Social District will allow alcoholic beverages to be consumed within district boundaries Monday to Saturday from 12 p.m. – 10 p.m, and Sunday from 12 p.m. -5p.m. Boundaries for the Social District will be clearly marked with sidewalk signage at the entrance and exit areas of the District.
Participation in the social district is at the special event holder’s discretion. Event organizers will have the choice to allow social district beverages within their event footprint or not.
Businesses located within the social district boundaries can submit this form to identify whether they want to opt-in or opt-out of the district.
Participating and Non-Participating Locations
Window clings will be displayed in businesses to identify their status:
- SOLD HERE – Purchase Social District drinks at these establishments
- YES! – Social District drinks welcome in these non-ABC permitted establishments
- NO! – Drinks not allowed; Social District drinks not available for purchase
BALL & MINOR CPA
BLUE WAVE DEPLOYMENT
ZIN YOGA STUDIO & WINE LOUNGE
FULL BLOOM COFFEE
CASSONDRA & THE KEY TEAM
CARROLL SERVICE COMPANY
LOCS, NATURALS & MORE
GARNER UNDERGROUND INC.
NANA’S LIL SWEETS
Town Property and the Social District
It shall be unlawful for any person to possess an open container of an alcoholic beverage on any property owned, occupied, or controlled by the Town (including parking facilities) unless that property has been designated by the Town as eligible for the consumption of alcohol under the rules of the social district and applicable State law. Any Town properties designated as eligible will be signed accordingly
The social district must meet the following requirements under North Carolina law:
- An alcoholic beverage purchased for consumption in the social district must:
- be consumed in the social district.
- be disposed of before exiting the social district unless entering a business within the social district that allows alcoholic beverages to be brought inside the business.
ABC Permittee Requirements -A permittee located and selling alcoholic beverages within the social district must meet the following requirements under North Carolina law:
- only sell and serve alcoholic beverages on its licensed premises.
- only sell alcoholic beverages for consumption in a container that meets all of the following requirements:
- The container clearly identifies the permittee from which the alcoholic beverage was purchased.
- The container clearly displays a logo or some other mark that is unique to the social district in which it will be consumed.
- The container is not comprised of glass.
- The container displays, in no less than 12-point font, the statement, “Drink Responsibly – Be 21.”
- The container shall not hold more than 16 fluid ounces.
Patron Requirements – The possession and consumption of an alcoholic beverage in a social district is subject to all of the following requirements of North Carolina law:
- Only alcoholic beverages purchased from a permittee located in the social district may be possessed and consumed.
- Alcoholic beverages must:
- only be in designated social district containers.
- only be possessed and consumed during the days and hours set by the Town:
- Monday through Friday between the hours of 12:00 p.m. and 10:00 p.m., and Sunday between the hours of 12:00 p.m. and 5:00 p.m.
- A single patron cannot be sold or delivered alcoholic beverage drinks in excess of:
- Not more than two alcoholic beverage drinks at one time if any of the following are beer or wine:
- Not more than one alcoholic beverage at one time if an alcoholic beverage drink contains liquor.
- A person must dispose of any alcoholic beverage before exiting the social district unless entering a business within the social district that allows alcoholic beverages to be brought inside the business.
How Would a Social District Be Enforced in Downtown Garner?
Town of Garner Police Officers will enforce the requirements of the District. The Town of Garner reserves the right to prohibit an ABC permittee from participating in the district due to violations of the Social District management plan.
To report potential violations please call the Garner Police Department at 919-772-8810 or the N.C. Alcohol Law Enforcement Division (1-877-ALE-AGENT).